Monday, June 17, 2013

We're all Mad Here how about you??

Hello Everyone,

I was looking around the internet for some idea's for a new project. I am finished with the enormousness wedding album I did for a lovely lady locally. I must admit that I do not want to scrap with purple for a long time. That being said I really did enjoy doing this for her. I scraped 120 photo's. Now that I am done with the album I am back to being able to work on my own projects.

I was thinking about steam punk stuff and I came across a website with a pattern for  mini mad hatter hats.  Well, I knew that my GS would love making these for our annual Very Merry Un-Birthday party. They are SO easy to make. Here is the link to the PATTERN.
You will need to go about 3/4 of the page down to find the link. There is a tutorial on how they created theirs, but I changed mine up a bit.
Materials Needed:
Patterned paper, cereal boxes ( I have also used tissue boxes, mashed potato boxes, ect)
 Step One:
Print off your pattern. (click on the word PATTERN above) Print onto 8.5 x 11 paper.
 
Step Two:
Cut your pattern out of cereal boxes. I use as a chipboard template  to cut out the pieces from cereal boxes. IMPORTANT side note: the top of the hat can be chip board but the brim and the body needs to be flexible in order to make the shape.

Step Three:
Next, I cut all my paper pieces.

Step Four:
Adhere the  paper pieces to your cardboard. ** Make sure that you bend the cardboard for the body by rubbing it along the edges of a table.

Step Five:
Gluing the body together. Hot glue the body of the hat together first. Then the top. Lastly the brim. * Before you glue the brim on you want to curl the edges. I do this by running the brim over the edges of a table like you did with the body.

Step Six:
Decorate in any way you wish. Flowers, trims, ephemera, charms, lace, stickpins, ect.



Here are some of the ones my scouts made:



It was kind of a silly face day. :)
I hope you enjoy making these as much as we have.

1 comment:

  1. Mad hatter hats, how cute! Looks like it was a great craft for the Girl Scouts! :)

    ReplyDelete