Thursday, January 7, 2016

#PASC116 Art Journaling ... a challenge... I am there!!

I am totally loving working in my art journal. Are you an art journaler?? It is so popular right now. There have been people who have art journaled before it was even called that. They are wonderful inspirations and examples to us all.
What I personally LOVE about art journaling is that I am not afraid to make mistakes and take chances. If I mess it up no problem. It is only a piece of paper in a book, right??  I definatly try and attempt new techniques and crazy ideas in mine. Some of them do not work out so well, others however find their way into my go to technique mental tool box. :)
I usually art journal just what ever pops into my crazy brain box. Some times I roam the lonely internet looking for an art journal idea fix. :) There are tons of amazing prompts out there. In fact, there are entire pinterest  boards devoted to them. One such prompt group that I recently joined on Face book is called The Pic a Stick Challenge group HERE .  This month's prompts were:
  • Create a title in YOUR OWN font
  • use gears
  • add a verse from a song
  • build texture with a palette knife using any medium you choose
  • create boarders/elements with scrapbook paper
  • use sparkles
  • add paint with a palette knife or card
  • journal so that no-one can read it
  • add a picture
  • write on masking tape in a pen or pencil and add it to the page
Use the hashtag : #PASC116  if you make an art journal page or project using the prompts.
I actually made two projects using the prompts.  The first project, I will honest, I really am not sure how I feel about it. I like parts of it and other parts I really dislike.  The second project I used the same prompts, but I used them slightly out of order.

Project one:

Here is the complete two page spread. I am pretty pleased with the iceberg, but the other side, blech.

Here is a close up of the iceberg. I used the prompt about adding texture with a palette knife.




not really happy with this .

Here is the wet crackle paste. I just had such a hard time trying to incorporate scrapbook paper into my journal.





I was so much happier with the iceberg one it dried.


Now for project 2:  I unashamedly totally like this one better. It is so much more me.

I am so much happier. I even used a black backround!! Pretty new for me.
started out with a gesso(ed) page.

Guess who got the set of Dylusions paints for Christmas??

Sorry about the glare. That there is a seriously black page. GULP, I have never worked on such a dark background.

Yuppers, those are in fact the lyrics to There's a light at the Frankenstein place.

Drawing my focal image on scrapbook paper. I had thought about painting over the paper, but it just seemed to take on a life of its own.


Here is where I used the card to apply paint. I love the way the drag made the light glow.


I used the MT tape, my bestie got me when she was living in Japan. I wanted to blend it into the page.

I love these paints. Here up close the base of the lightbulb really looks copper or metallic.
Luminarte Silks Acrylic Glaze  in chestnut brown.

Prima color blooms  Empress gold. Oh yeah look at the sparkle.

Sparkle you say, here lets add more.

Adding the dreaded picture. HMMMM how can I hide this??

tada!! Hidden.
I added a little doodling at this point AAAAAAANNNNNDDDDD done. :)  I am happy that I did the challenge, I really am. I think this will work best for me to follow the integrity of the Challenge each month on one page and then do a second page  right next to it in my own order. Then write about what the challenge made me find out about my self and my creativity.

5 comments:

  1. I loved being able to see the two very different pieces you created and how much you are learning about yourself and your process. I agree that the one that you love is more like you. I really do like them both though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I wish I liked the first one more. :)

      Delete
  2. Super job on the first challenge of the year. Thanks for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Peg, I look forward to seeing how much I learn and grow over the year. Looking forward to February's challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love be the title on the first one with the seeming left space ... I should have done that! Thanks for playing along with us ��

    ReplyDelete